Gay and Lesbian
HKQueer News : Articles and Press Releases
1997-01-31 - ALL South China Morning Post listings have been removed from this server (amicably).
- Details: Details available.
- (Added: 31-Jan-1997 Hits: 0 Rating: 0 Votes: 0 ) Rate It
1999-10-03 - Millenium HK Men's Calendar available
- Fundraiser for AIDS Concern
- [ Poster
| Order Form
(132 kb) ]
- (Added: 3-Oct-1999 Hits: 0 Rating: 0 Votes: 0 ) Rate It
2000-01-22 - Gay play offers riveting perspective
- Details: A newspaper review of "First Time Seventeen" performed by Jimmy's Style Branch 7 on 19 January at the Sheung Wan Civic Centre.
Note: The old link stopped working, so you will need to go to their home page and search.
- (Added: 22-Jan-2000 Hits: 203 Rating: 0 Votes: 0 ) Rate It
2000-01-22 - 同志刊物教師作教材
- Details: An article in Chinese about 2 members of a Tongzhi/Gay/Lesbian/ groups for secondary school students passing out flyers in their schools, with reaction, etc.
The article link no longer works (http://www.mingpao.com/newspaper/20000122/gfa1h.htm) -Jan 2002
- (Added: 22-Jan-2000 Hits: 48 Rating: 0 Votes: 0 ) Rate It
2000-05-21 - Funds Dry Up For HK's Aids Hospice
- Details: An article in the 21 May 2000 South China Morning Post. "After bidding farewell to its last two guests, Hong Kong's only hospice for Aids patients closed its doors earlier this month. Situated in a remote part of Tai Po, the Lookout served as a quiet sanctuary for the dying, but now the Society for Aids Care has run out of the money necessary to keep it running
The only hospice for Aids sufferers in Hong Kong is to close because of the success of 'cocktail therapy', which now allows many sufferers to lead normal lives."
The article is available on the SCMP's web site, but it will cost you HK$10 to read it online - so you might want to check with your local Library.
- (Added: 21-May-2000 Hits: 0 Rating: 0 Votes: 0 ) Rate It
2000-06-03 - Sri Lanka: Watchdog Rules in Favour of Anti-Lesbian Letter
- Details: An article in the 3 June 2000 South China Morning Post (page 12, 'World' section). It starts: 'Sri Lanka's Press Council has ruled that Lesbianism is an "Act of sadism" and that a leter in a newspaper calling for convicted rapists to be unleashed on lesbians was published in the cmmunity's interest.' The article is available on the SCMP's web site for a few days - you will need to go through a free registration process to read it, and after a few days it will cost you HK$10 to read it online - so you might want to check with your local Library.
- (Added: 03-Jun-2000 Hits: 0 Rating: 0 Votes: 0 ) Rate It
2000-06-24 - Young, Gay and Guilt-Ridden
- Details: An article in the HK i-Mail newspaper (formerly HK Standard) on Hong Kong's Tongzhi students, focusing on three individuals.
- (Added: 24-Jun-2000 Hits: 281 Rating: 9.00 Votes: 1 ) Rate It
2000-06-25 - SAR 'sitting on Aids time bomb'
- Details: An article in the 25 June 2000 South China Morning Post (page 3). It starts: 'CROSS-BORDER commercial sex and needle sharing among drug addicts have left Hong Kong sitting on a potential Aids time bomb, the territory's most comprehensive research into the disease has revealed.' The article is available on the SCMP's web site for a few days - you will need to go through a free registration process to read it, and after a few days it will cost you HK$10 to read it online - so you might want to check with your local Library.
- (Added: 13-Jul-2000 Hits: 0 Rating: 0 Votes: 0 ) Rate It
2000-07-11 - China's first AIDS, gay activist
- Details: An article on Wan Yan Hai published Sunday, July 9, 2000, in the San Jose Mercury News. Written by DANIEL C. TSANG.
- (Added: 11-Jul-2000 Hits: 15 Rating: 10 Votes: 1 ) Rate It
2000-07-28 - Need Men Now! - 10 Hong Kong Hunks For 2001 Hong Kong Men Calendar
- Details: "AIDS Concern needs volunteer models for the 2001 Hong Kong Men Calendar. This year's project will be shot by well-known photographer Hilda Hsu. The calendars are distributed localy and internationally and all proceeds from sales go to AIDS Concern. Those interested in flaunting their bodies for charity (hey, it's a good cause!) should contact Ms. Margaret Pang, 2898-4411, before 3rd August, 2000."
- (Added: 28-Jul-2000 Hits: 0 Rating: 3.00 Votes: 1 ) Rate It
2000-09-02 - HOMO PIX at Broadway Cinematheque
- Address: Prosperous Garden, 3 Public Quare Street, Yau Ma Tei, Kowloon
- Tel: 2529-3898
- Cost: $35
- Details: Sunday films in September, including Boys Don't Cry, Summer Vacation 1999, Like Grain of Sand, and Relax... It's Just Sex. You can see the flyer at http://sqzm14.ust.hk/images/homo-pix.gif
[6 October - removed main link since page now gone as the program has finished.]
- (Added: 2-Sep-2000 Hits: 1647 Rating: 0 Votes: 0 ) Rate It
2000-09-03 - 二千年立法業~．同志選薪~手冊
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Contact Person: Hong Kong Ten Percent Club
- Details: 由十分一業~製作的 "二 千 年 立 法 業~ ． 同 志 選 薪~ 手 冊" 現已出版!
關心同志權益, 關心立法業~選薪~, 請將此網址Forword 給身邊朋友,
支持"親同志" 候選人, 發揮同志集體票力量!
Voting/election handbook, including information for those candidates in the 2000 Legislative Council elections who responded to a gay/lesbian/tongzhi survey.
- (Added: 9-Sep-2000 Hits: 364 Rating: 0 Votes: 0 ) Rate It
2000-09-03 - 許同志一個未來----同志,你業~怎樣投票?
- Details: Some background on how some of the candidates spoke and voted on Equal Opportunities Bill (Sexual Orientation), which was voted down
by a small margin. [in Chinese].
- (Added: 3-Sep-2000 Hits: 165 Rating: 10.00 Votes: 1 ) Rate It
2000-09-07 - Aids Show Cancelled Over Condom Display
- Details: A posting to the HKQueer mailing list of an article from the SCMP, that "An exhibition to promote Aids awareness at Festival Walk shopping mall was cancelled at the last minute after managers of the complex objected to the public display of condoms."
- (Added: 12-Sep-2000 Hits: 910 Rating: 1.00 Votes: 1 ) Rate It
2000-09-27 - Sexual Problems in Gay Men Survey (SPIGS)
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Details: Sexual Problems in Gay Men Survey or simply SPIGS, is a unique research project into the prevalence of sexual problems in gay men.he objective of this preliminary study is to determine the nature and severity of the sexual difficulties experienced by gay men, and how they affect gay sexuality and lives in general. We are asking ALL gay men who visit this web page to complete SPIGS.
- (Added: 27-Sep-2000 Hits: 3264 Rating: 0 Votes: 0 ) Rate It
2000-10-06 - Painting the Town Pink
- Details: An positive article on the "arrival" of gay tourism to Hong Kong - in the 6 October 2000 South China Morning Post.
- (Added: 6-Oct-2000 Hits: 193 Rating: 0 Votes: 0 ) Rate It
2000-11-02 - In The Flesh - 2001 Hong Kong Men Calendar Launch Party
- Tel: 2898-4411
- Contact Person: Aids Concern (關懷愛滋)
- Details: 7th November, 2000 at 7pm at Club 97
"Free calendars for those wo dare to bare!"
For those of you who are not in Hong Kong but would like to buy the calendar (in CD format and full size), please contact Margaret at (852) 2898-4411 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Poster [26 kb]
ORDER FORM: [PDF] | [JPEG]
- (Added: 2-Nov-2000 Hits: 1 Rating: 0 Votes: 0 ) Rate It
2000-11-11 - Mob Attacks Indonesia Gays
- Details: A mob of 150 masked people wielding sticks and machetes attacked 500 gays and transvestites attending an AIDS awareness party at a resort near Yogyakarta, Java, Indonesia, Nov. 11.
At least 25 people were injured and the building was damaged.
Police said they had no clue who staged the assault. Local media
has blamed "Moslems" and people wearing "Arab-style garments."
- (Added: 18-Dec-2000 Hits: 0 Rating: 0 Votes: 0 ) Rate It
2000-12-01 - 2001 AIDS BENEFIT PARTY
- Tel: 2898-4411
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Contact Person: AIDS Concern
- Hours: 7pm - 6am -- A 3-stage party!
See the link above for more details!
- Cost: $150 in advance, $220 at the door.
- Details: Just wanted to invite you to our party to celebrate our 10th anniversary
and raise funds. Please see attached flyer for details. Tickets will
be available from Friday, 24 November at Antidote, Club 97, Oscars
(Lan Kwai Fong,) Rice Bar, V13 Vodka Bar, & Zip. Ticket price
includes coach transport between Central and Pink (Chai Wan.)
Coach schedules will be displayed in the venues mentioned above.
Note: This is a 3-stage party, starting in Lan Kwai Fong, then moving by coach to PINK, with followups at Pink and other venues. See the link for more details!
- (Added: 15-Nov-2000 Hits: 377 Rating: 1.00 Votes: 1 ) Rate It
2000-12-07 - IGLHRC ACTION ALERT: Support Hong Kong Tongzhi Activists' Struggle for Anti-Discrimination Legislation
- Details: A call for action to support a call for governmental legislative action in Hong Kong:
"The legislature of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People's Republic of China is considering how to combat discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation. The Hong Kong government has urged the legislative panel to continue educational measures to counter prejudice. However--under pressure from religious bodies (among others)--it has voiced its discomfort with actually enacting legislation to ban such discrimination...."
- (Added: 18-Dec-2000 Hits: 187 Rating: 0 Votes: 0 ) Rate It
2001-01-05 - Gay Chinese Businessman Must Apologize To Coworkers
- Details: An Advocate.com article. "A 68-year-old gay Chinese businessman has been ordered to apologize to three of his male coworkers after he was found guilty of kissing and fondling them, Agence France-Presse reports. Wang Guang was also ordered by the court in the Hainan capital of Haikou to pay each of the men one yuan (12 cents) for their emotional stress. Wang Guang said he took the action with his coworkers because he thought they were gay as well. One of the three plaintiffs told the court that his pregnant wife divorced him and aborted the couple's child when she learned what happened between him and Wang Guang."
- (Added: 7-Jan-2002 Hits: 358 Rating: 9.00 Votes: 1 ) Rate It
2001-01-28 - One Take on a Taboo
- Details: An article discussing the airing of a TV news program on homosexuality in China - and the cancellation of its rebroadcast.
- (Added: 4-Feb-2001 Hits: 185 Rating: 0 Votes: 0 ) Rate It
2001-03-12 - Thai People Asia's Most Gay-Friendly
- Details: An article in the Bangkok Post reporting on the results of a "survey on sexual mores [which] showed Thais like to be spanked and are the most gay-friendly people in Asia."
- (Added: 12-Mar-2001 Hits: 188 Rating: 0 Votes: 0 ) Rate It
2001-04-15 - Body of Gay Bookstore Owner Found in Shenzhen
- Details: An article on the top of the front page of the 15 April 2001 Sunday Morning Post says "Bosy confirmed as missing activist's", and starts,
A cross-border murder unt was launched yesterday after a charred corpse found outside a Shenzhen hospital was confirmed to be that of missing Hong Kong democratic activist and bookstore owner Leung Wah. The confirmation comes almost five months after mainland police found the body, and three months after Leung, 44, was reported missing to Hong Kong Police."
- (Added: 15-Apr-2001 Hits: 1602 Rating: 0 Votes: 0 ) Rate It
2001-06-08 - "Boycott PP & Works Weekend"
- Details: A posting from the gayhk.com "Toilet Wall", where
A group of people on BBS of gayhk.com is organizing a boycott action against PP and Works this weekend. There have been opinions that the two popular gay spots (owned by the same company), besides being majorly overpriced, contribute very little back to the tongzhi community even though they're probably the most lucrative gay businesses.
- (Added: 07-Jun-2001 Hits: 413 Rating: 1.00 Votes: 1 ) Rate It
2001-06-16 - Japan - Mandate of Proposed National Human Rights Commission Embraces Rights Based on Sexual Orientation
- Details: "The International Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Commission, in solidarity with the Japan Association for the Lesbian and Gay Movement (OCCUR), congratulates the Council for Human Rights Promotion of the Japanese Justice Ministry for its explicit inclusion of discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation within the mandate of the proposed national human rights commission. This important decision, announced in the final report of the Council on May 25, marks the first public recognition of LGBT rights as human rights at the national level in Japan."
- (Added: 16-Jun-2001 Hits: 2329 Rating: 0 Votes: 0 ) Rate It
2001-08-13 - Sex Shop Party Raided (Fetish Fashion)
- Details: "Fetish Fashion in Cochrane Street, Central, was raided on Saturday as a play party featuring `Mistress Jesika', was being held. Among those arrested was proprietress Brenda Scofield."
- (Added: 13-Aug-2001 Hits: 2153 Rating: 0 Votes: 0 ) Rate It
2001-12-01 - 2001 AIDS BENEFIT PARTY
- Tel: 2898-4411
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Contact Person: AIDS Concern
- Hours: See the link above for more details!
- Details: AIDS Concern will have its annual World AIDS Day Party this coming Sat Dec 1).
This year, we will have a rave party in three venues (Queens Home and Hardy's), including fancy dress competition, etc. Prior to the rave party, volunteers will be passing out condoms in Lan Kwai Fong. Other volunteers will be stationed in over 10 bars in that area.
Attached please find the posters, one in Chinese and one in English. The third one is a post party breakfast invitation for the following morning. Only one minor change, Blush will be closing soon, and it will be replaced by Home. See the link for more details!
- (Added: 29-Nov-2001 Hits: 164 Rating: 0 Votes: 0 ) Rate It
2002-03-01 - 12th Hong Kong Lesbian and Gay Film Festival
- Details: Out on a limb
The 12th Hong Kong Lesbian and Gay Film Festival is running fro 7-24 march, 2002. According to the South China Morning Post, it "is celebrating its break from governmental ties with a diverse mix of movies and two new awards." The online SCMP article viewable by subscribers only, but the link above will take you to the HK GLB Events Calendar, which has all the listings for you!
- (Added: 3-Mar-2002 Hits: 455 Rating: 5.50 Votes: 2 ) Rate It
2002-06-27 - India Considers Abolishing Sodomy Laws
- Details: "Gay rights activists in India expressed hope Wednesday that the government will soon strike down laws that make homosexual acts between consenting adults punishable by up to 10 years in prison."
- (Added: 28-Jun-2002 Hits: 261 Rating: 0 Votes: 0 ) Rate It
2002-11-28 - Gay Sex Significant in AIDS Epidemic In Asia
- Details: "Gay sex is significant in the AIDS epidemic in Asia, according to a report by the UNAIDS and the World Health Organisation.
"Countries that have measured HIV prevalence among men who have sex with men have found it to be high -- 14 percent in Cambodia in 2000 and roughly the same level among male Thai sex workers."
The report estimates that unless steps are taken to curb the epidemic, some 10 million people in China could be infected with the virus by 2010." (That last figure includes all cases, not just men who have sex with men -Ed)
- (Added: 29-Nov-2002 Hits: 200 Rating: 0 Votes: 0 ) Rate It
2002-11-28 - RP gays back US lesbian couple
- Details: "THE PROGRESSIVE Organization of Gays in the Philippines (ProGay) yesterday trashed the Family Code for being "outdated" as it rallied support behind a lesbian couple from the United States who were denied a family visa to the Philippines."
- (Added: 28-Nov-2002 Hits: 214 Rating: 0 Votes: 0 ) Rate It
2003-10-20 - India's First Gay Film Festival Highlights Growing LGBT Visibility
- Details: (Bombay, India) LGBT film festivals are nothing new for most western gay communities, but for India's gays the country's first film festival was major step forward in self identity.
In a country where homosexuality remains a criminal offence punishable with sentences from 10 years to life imprisonment just buying a ticket to the film festival, held this weekend in Bombay, was a major political statement.
- (Added: 22-Oct-2003 Hits: 135 Rating: 0 Votes: 0 ) Rate It
2003-10-27 - Taiwan moves to abolish death penalty, legalise gay marriages
- Details: "TAIPEI, (AFP) - Taiwan's government is drafting legislation to abolish the death penalty and legitimise gay marriages, a cabinet official said.
If the laws are approved by parliament, Taiwan would be the first in Asia to legalise marriages among people of the same sex. .."
From Yahoo News - Asia - AFP Asia
- (Added: 28-Oct-2003 Hits: 471 Rating: 0 Votes: 0 ) Rate It
2003-10-28 - Laws drafted to end death penalty, legalize gay unions
- Details: "The government is drafting legislation to abolish the death penalty and legitimize gay marriages, a Cabinet official said yesterday.
If the laws are approved by the legislature, Taiwan would be the first country in Asia to legalize marriages among people of the same sex.
Jointly drafted by the Presidential Office and the Cabinet, the proposal is designed to protect basic human rights, the official said."
- (Added: 28-Oct-2003 Hits: 148 Rating: 0 Votes: 0 ) Rate It
2003-11-17 - Sexual revolution is boosted by University course : it is hoped lectures on homosexuality will help break down prejudices
- Details: Page A4, from the unlinkable South China Morning Post. The page 1 lead says "Gay Studies - In a sign that China's sexual revolution is changing attitudes towards homosexuality, Fudan University has become the first mainland university to offer a class devoted to the topic of homosexuality."
There is also a positive editorial on page A12.
- (Added: 17-Nov-2003 Hits: 0 Rating: 2.00 Votes: 2 ) Rate It
2004-10-11 - Hong Kong's first gay parade kicks off this Friday / 第一次同志遊
- Details: "One of Lan Kwai Fong's pioneers, ninetysevengroup, corporate entertainment doyen Greg Derham of House of Siren and sexual minority group HORIZONS will co-organise Hong Kong's first gay parade on this coming Friday (October 15, 2004)."
"蘭桂芳的ninetysevengroup、專籌辦大型活動的House of Siren及同志團體HORIZONS（啟同服務社）將於本星期五（十月十五日）晚上六時在Club 97的This is Not a Scene同志派對中，宣佈香港歷史上第一次同志遊行於當晚十時薪~行。屆時將業~有不少參加者穿上創意十足的裝束，環繞蘭桂芳遊行，向全港甚至全世界展示香港同志的力量，亦希望公開向數以十萬計未能出櫃的姊妹弟兄作出勉勵，共同願祝香港早日能成為一個沒有歧視的亞洲國際都業~。"
- (Added: 11-Oct-2004 Hits: 227 Rating: 10 Votes: 1 ) Rate It
2004-12-01 - International Action - In support of ADIS Education in Hong Kong
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Details: "Non-Violent Direct Action Fighting for Social Justice, Equality, Freedom, Democracy in Hong Kong" - In 2004, they also held some actions in support of the promotion of ADIS education in Hong Kong.
"We are a small group of semi-intellectual gweilos, overseas Chinese, local Chinese and other Asians who live in Hong Kong. Instead of wasting time drinking in Lan Kwai Fong, or in our case the more salacious bars of Wanchai, we have decided that as foreigners living here, we have a responsibility to speak up and contribute our small part in making Hong Kong a better place."
- (Added: 27-Dec-2004 Hits: 123 Rating: 0 Votes: 0 ) Rate It
China Launches Gay Aids Survey
- Details: From the BBC - "China is conducting its first survey of the number of homosexual carriers of HIV..."
- (Added: 26-Jul-2004 Hits: 361 Rating: 0 Votes: 0 ) Rate It
Pride International Film Festival - Manila , Philippines
- Address: 80 Scout De Guia Street, Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines
- Tel: 011-632-412-8349
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Details: 2004 Pride International Film Festival is inviting everyone to celebrate HIV/AIDS education through the presentation of fabulous GLBT digital films and videos in the Philippines.
The events will take place at the Dream Theater (Cultural Center of the Philippines) on August 21-28, 2004 (please check the festival website for film schedules, tickets, events, award details, etc.)
- (Added: 27-Jun-2004 Hits: 134 Rating: 0 Votes: 0 ) Rate It
Quietly, Singapore lifts its ban on hiring gays
- Details: Singapore's government has quietly lifted restrictions on hiring homosexuals as part of a broader effort to shake the city-state's repressive reputation and foster the kind of lifestyles common to cities whose entrepreneurial dynamism Singapore would like to emulate.
- (Added: 5-Jul-2003 Hits: 265 Rating: 1.00 Votes: 1 ) Rate It
Singapore Bans (Taiwanese) Gay Film
- Details: "The Singapore Films Appeals Committee has banned the highest-ever grossing Taiwanese film, Formula 17, from being shown in Singapore because it `encouraged homosexuality.'" ... "Formula 17 has been the film sensation of the year in Taiwan but one of the reasons the panel banned the film in Singapore was the result of a recent survey that claimed that 70% of Singaporeans are not receptive to gay lifestyles." ...
- (Added: 22-Jul-2004 Hits: 347 Rating: 0 Votes: 0 ) Rate It
Support Anti-discrimination Bill for Sexual Orientation in Hong Kong
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Details: In order to gauge public support of an anti-discrimination bill to outlaw sexual orientation discrimination, the Hong Kong government will commission a third party to conduct a survey on public atitudes towards gays and lesbians and protective measures for them. There will be no Sexual Orientation Discrimination (SOD) Bill if the results show less than 50% support from the public. As a member of the LGBT communtiy, we all have witnessed instances of discrimination, if not experienced them ourselves. It is important that we voice out the need to outlaw discrimination against us. It is important that the public knows about our needs and the prevalence of discrimination before the survey takes place. If you are not a member of the LGBT community, I trust you too agree to equality for all and a legislation to protect us from discrimination. Thus, I urge you to sign this petition in support of an SOD Bill which will outlaw discrimination against us. It will also convey a strong message to the public and the government of how serious discrimination is in Hong Kong.
To sign the petition, follow this link (your signature will be handed to the Chief Executive and Secretary for Home Affairs):
- (Added: 4-May-2005 Hits: 155 Rating: 0 Votes: 0 ) Rate It
TIME Magazine - Singapore: It's In to Be Out
- Details: According to Time magazine, Singapore's "gay life is more open than that of most other cities in Asia, even Hong Kong."
"Homosexual activity between consenting adults is still illegal in Singapore. Colonial sodomy laws are not exactly a proud inheritance (some say they were meant to keep British troops in line), so it is odd that, amid much tradition that is proudly preserved, these antiquated laws remain on the statute books. Until recently, the government justified the criminal status of homosexual activity by citing so-called Asian values of Singaporean society. Imagine the fizz, then, in the republic's media and especially the gay community, when Prime Minister Goh Chok Tong told TIME last month that the government has been quietly tolerating gays in the civil service for a while now..."
- (Added: 14-Aug-2003 Hits: 242 Rating: 8.50 Votes: 2 ) Rate It
Tongzhi LegCo Election Campaign 2004 / 二零零外~年同志立法業~選薪~工程
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Details: TCJM is a coalition of more than 10 Hong Kong Tongzhi groups and has been working since 1999 as a forum for collaboration on tongzhi rights. In the 2000 LegCo elections, the TCJM endorsed one candidate in each of the five geographical constituencies. All won the election to the 2000-04 Legislative Council. In this coming election, the TCJM wants all the candidates to make clear where they stand on tongzhi issues. The project team includes some 20 lesbians and gays, working on different aspects of the campaign.
- Visitors' Comments: Excellent site - now remember to vote!!! [-Spode]
- (Added: 11-Sep-2004 Hits: 143 Rating: 0 Votes: 0 ) Rate It
Disclaimer: I cannot guarantee that all the information available here is current or correct, although I have done my best to make it so. Also please keep in mind that I am not affiliated with any of these sites or businesses in any way.
Pages Updated On: 3-Nov-2012 - 10:04:50
Links Engine 2.0 By: Gossamer Threads Inc.
© Edward Spodick